Well, after apparently jinxing UC Davis in its quest to earn a berth in the NCAA Tournament for the first time in program history yesterday, I figured I needed to find another team to shower with bad luck while simultaneously letting you know when, and where, you can watch some of the day’s better matchups with Selection Sunday only a day away.
- 11:00 AM/ESPN2 – Stony Brook at Albany in the America East championship. If you’re looking for another New York team to root for in the Big Dance, well, now’s your chance to latch onto either 23-10 Stony Brook or 23-8 Albany. You’ll be able to cheer them on for about 10 minutes next weekend before they get trounced by whichever 2-seed they get matched up against.
- 1:30 PM/CBS Sports Network – Virginia Commonwealth vs. No. 24 Davidson in the Atlantic 10 championship. Which is more surprising: that Davidson is ranked in the top 25, or that Bob McKillop’s team is in the Atlantic 10? Either way, this is a matchup of teams being run by two of the best coaches in America, and should be a very, very fun game to watch.
- 3:00 PM/ESPN2 – Temple vs. No. 20 SMU in the American semifinal. Let’s all just stop and appreciate the fact that somehow, some way, Temple and Southern Methodist are in the same conference. The winner takes on either Tulsa or Connecticut in the championship tomorrow, proving once and for all what a wacky, stupid conference this really is.
- 3:30 PM/Fox Sports 1 – Middle Tennessee vs. UAB in the C-USA championship. This isn’t necessarily a great game on paper, but here’s why it’s interesting: whichever team wins will enter the tournament with 15 losses. Yeesh.
- 7:30 PM/ESPN2 – Buffalo vs. Central Michigan in the MAC championship. Hey look, another New York team you could possibly root for! Buffalo and Central Michigan both put up a lot of points, with CMU averaging 78.0 points per game and Buffalo averaging 74.5, so this has a chance to be a wild, entertaining game.
- 8:00 PM/Fox Sports 1 – Xavier vs. No. 4 Villanova in the Big East championship. If you’re looking for a potential surrogate team to root for in the NCAA Tournament, the answer may reside in this matchup in Syracuse’s old conference, which you probably forgot now includes Xavier. Xavier just knocked off Georgetown yesterday, so they’re aces in my book. Villanova is a pretty easy team to root for, outside of Ryan Arcidiacono (oh hi, guy I’m trying to jinx by using his picture). This is going to be a fun game, with both teams ranking ranking in the top 33 scoring teams in the nation.
- 9:30 PM/ESPN2 – Sam Houston vs. Stephen F. Austin in the Southland championship. If you like scoring, this is the game for you. Sam Houston is 38th in the nation in points per game, and Stephen F. Austin is ninth. This has a chance to be a fast paced, up and down game that winds up in the 80’s or 90’s.